Thursday, September 5, 2013

Beverly's Quilts

When my friend Beverly lived here in town, we used to get together and quilt.  She and her family moved away for a new job several years ago, but I am happy to report that she has continued quilting and has completed some amazing pieces, all while raising her three kids and being very involved in their schooling, and as a wife and mother.  I admire her very much! Her husband and children are fantastic too, by the way.

Her youngest, Lucy, was just perhaps 18 months or so when we first started quilting together and Beverly would bring over her Singer Featherweight and we would sew in my basement.  I remember Lucy used to love to take the straight pins and stick them all in the cushioned seat of my sewing chair - one at a time, very meticulously.  Don't worry, we kept a close eye on her to make sure none went in her mouth.  She was, and still is a cutie :)
Beverly said I could share these pictures of her two most recent quilts.  The one above is all machine pieced!  This is a Cynthia England design, using a method she calls Picture Piecing.  It looks fabulous in the picture.  I can hardly wait to see it in person!

The quilt to the right is a Pink, Black and Paris quilt, she made for her niece for graduation (and Beverly is in the photo).  I love this quilt!  I'm sure her niece does too!

One year she and I made a mystery quilt together at Quilter's Corner.  The last day we picked up a "clue" was a competition to see who could complete theirs the fastest.  We both worked at our own homes that day, sewing like crazy, along with dozens of other quilters and Beverly got hers turned in first!  That was quite an accomplishment because it was a long day of sewing, let me tell you.

I am excited that we have plans to get together at the Utah Quilt Fest in October!  It will be fun to "catch up"!

2 comments: