Friday, November 15, 2013

Other Quilts I Liked!

There are so many quilts at the festival in Houston and they are all SO amazing.  It can be a bit overwhelming.  I decided to only take pictures of those I really, really liked.  I still took a LOT of pictures!  So these quilts are ones that spoke to me somehow, even though they were all fabulous.  There were a few exhibits that did not allow photography too, so of course there won't be any pictures from those exhibits.
This quilt is "Fire in the Sky" by Alice Kay Arnett from Wyoming.  She said this quilt is symbolic of the missed fireworks last summer because of all the wildfires consuming their region.


"OverJOYed" by Flora Joy from Tennessee.
She said, "This FUN quilt was designed with astonishing quilting and beautiful embroidery, and a clever message behind each of the quilt's five layers...  All of the designs relate to the letters in the word/name JOY.  See who can find the greatest number of letter combinations that spell "joy"."

"Memories of Scarlet Serenade" by Sharon Schamber from Arizona.

She said, "Over the past few years, I have been exploring machine embroidery techniques and pushing the limits of what can be done in the hoop.  This quilt is a culmination of that journey."

"Little Bird" by Sherri Lipman McCauley and a group of friends from Texas.

She said, "Like a little bird gathering materials for its nest, our group members were inspired to gather a new collection of upholstery weight fabrics and cotton quilting fabrics to build this lovely "nest"."

My daughter likes the yellow/gray color combination so I took this picture for her :)

"Learn and Grow" by Candace West and the Sugar Cube Quilters from Florida.

She says, "Original design by Candace West that depicts the growth of the Sugar Cube Quilters as they learn new techniques that make their quilting skills grow."

"Love" by Yuko Murakami from Japan.

She says, "I would like you to look at the new quilt.  I hope you will be blessed with lots of happiness too."








Take a look at the amazing border below.  The quilt was machine appliquéd, pieced and quilted.



"Two Dozen Roses" by Monica Troy from Illinois.

She says, "Big, bold, red roses in a variety of red prints and solid fabrics make this quilt a textile gardener's delight.  Freehand quilting adds to the design."


"Red Velvet" by Lisa Calle from Pennsylvania.

She says, "I fell in love with the gray and red fabrics and knew I needed to have them.  I had recently seen a Dresden Plate quilt and thought these fabrics were perfect for it.  I used about 5,000 yards of my favorite thread.  It was 100% hand guided on my A-1 Elite."



"Aunt MiMi's Flower Garden II" by Elsie Campbell from Oklahoma.

She says, "This quilt started out as teaching samples for a series of workshops to make my quilt, Aunt MiMi's Flower Gardens, thus this one became Aunt MiMi's Flower Garden II.  The bright, cheery yellow is accented by blue and lavender instead of red and pink."


"A Girl's Best Friend" by Liz Jones from the United Kingdom.

She says, "A machine appliqué satin stitch strippy quilt.  The shapes of the diamond blocks were determined by the light and dark blue diamond batik fabric proportions."


"Grandmother's Rose Garden" by Donna Gilbert from Pennsylvania

She says, "A portrait of my grandmother is surrounded by the roses she loved.  Black-Eyed Susans symbolize her Maryland roots, and Forget-Me-Nots - my memories of her."

I hope I got the right one here because I am not seeing a portrait of her grandmother.  I love this quilt though!  If it is the right one it has corded binding, ruching, needle turn appliqué, and hand quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment