Tuesday, December 3, 2013

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas!


I started putting up our Christmas decorations yesterday and the first items out were my Christmas quilts.  This is one of the first quilts I ever made!  And it has a label on it!  I made it in the year 2000 and it was made from a kit that I got from the Keepsake Quilting catalog.  It is all hand appliquéd and one of my very first attempts at machine quilting.  I am really quite amazed at how fearless I was.  I even quilted words in the borders!

Sometimes I look back at my early attempts at quilting and realize that I was more bold and adventurous because I didn't know any better.  I appreciate the classes I have taken over the years and all of the techniques that I have learned, but I do feel that I need to get a little bit of that adventuresome spirit back into my quilting - I need to be more bold and brave and try new things just because.  That will be one of my goals for quilting in 2014.  That and continuing to work on my machine quilting.  Maybe I will even quilt a few words in the borders!
This quilt on the right I made last year.  The letters spelling Christmas are hand appliquéd and the rest are embroidered and it is embellished with several buttons.  It is a pattern from one of those Art to Heart books.
Off to finish up some Christmas ornaments for my miniature group!  Our luncheon is tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment