Friday, February 28, 2014

Yummy Recipe!

My neighbor is a phenomenal cook and shares her talent with friends once a month at her house, baking bread all day and letting us come sample, then giving us the recipes.  I have received many great recipes from her, but I am not known for my great bread making skills so I have tried very few.  A couple of weeks ago, however, we sampled this health bread and I just had to try making some. The recipe makes three loaves and today was fourth time I've made it!  No, my hubby and I aren't eating ALL of it.  I have given quite a few loaves away :)
So following is the delicious recipe.  If I can make this, with my 50/50 success rate in bread making, then anyone can!  I'm four for four on this recipe so far!

Health Bread
6 to 6 1/2 cups unsifted white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 packages dry yeast
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal, uncooked
1 cup whole bran ready to eat feral (I used Kellog's All-Bran Buds)
1 cup raisins or craisins (optional - I did not add these)
2 1/2 cups boiling water
5.3 oz. Greek Chobani yogurt
2 Tablespoons butter
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup sunflower seeds OR toasted walnuts

In mixing bowl combine 2 1/2 cups of the white flour, all of the whole wheat flour and yeast.  Mix well.  In saucepan, combine boiling water, oatmeal, bran cereal, raisins, yogurt, butter and salt.  Mix until shortening melts on low heat.  Add honey and sugar, stirring on low heat until sugar dissolves.  Let this mixture cool 5-10 minutes until warm, then add to yeast mixture.  Beat about 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping sides of bowl.  Beat about three minutes on high speed.  Add cinnamon, sunflower seeds and enough of the remaining white flour to make a moderately stiff dough.  Knead for about eight minutes either by hand or with dough hook in mixer.  Divide dough into three portions and shape each portion into an oval.  Place each portion into a greased loaf pan and cover with a damp cloth.  Let rise in a warm place until double in size.  Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on cooling racks.  Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. Sigh...I wish I were there this weekend to have some...!

    ReplyDelete