Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Amazing Machine Quilting!

Believe it or not I still have pictures from the HMQS in Salt Lake!  I just can't emphasize enough how stunning these quilts were :)

This one is called "The Red Vase" by Cheryl Kerestes. She said the appliqué is all needle turned and was designed to compliment the quilting! (Rather than the other way around.  I usually choose quilting designs to compliment the appliqué!)
She won a Teacher's Choice award. Note the different colors of thread used too.  I would have to be way more confident in my quilting to try that....



A New Beginning by Susan Cronenwett

The quilting gets lost from a distance but in the picture below you can see some of the flowers.


I took a picture of this quilt because my daughter loves rodeos, AND it's a new twist (at least new to me) on a t-shirt quilt.  I like the way she left the collars on the rodeo shirts.

Crystal's Dream by Kathy Calhoun



Autumn Journey at White Oak by Kathryn Zimmerman, quilted by Brian Fackler.

First Place in the Mixed Technique category.





Diamonds by Sarah Cook

I love the design and colors in this quilt and then I looked at the artist's statement and it says "this is my first quilt" AND she's 14 years old!!  Already an award winner in a major quilt show - wow!!
She won Second Place in the Youth category.



Hula Hibiscus by Lisa Calle

This was a teacher display and this quilt has won two Best of Show awards in other shows along with other awards.  I'm pretty sure I've seen it in a quilting magazine - it's stunning in person.


Fire and Ice by Claudia Pfeil was also a teacher display. Amazing.



Tuscan Sun by Gina Perkes
Also in the Teacher Display area.  I think I need to take classes at this show next year!

1 comment:

  1. Oh so beautiful. That first quilt is a heart stopper. Seeing them all makes me want to retire from my job and quilt full time! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete