Monday, July 13, 2015

In the Heart of Europe by Margarete Heinisch


This was my favorite of Margarete Heinisch's quilts.  It was selected as one of the "20th Century's 100 Best American Quilts".

You can read more about it in the photo below of her artist's statement.  The detail in this quilt is unlike anything I've ever seen.  All hand appliquéd, hand quilted, hand embellished.  Absolutely amazing....



The detail in the nine dancing couples is spectacular.  Look at the swirled hand quilting in the background.


Then, if that wasn't enough, the borders have these tiny little village scenes!!  This border (between the brown sashing) is probably about four inches wide, so these little scenes are intricate and tiny and incredible!





I could have stared at this quilt for hours and still not have seen everything, I'm sure.  When I grow up, I want to be able to make something this beautiful.  I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment