Sunday, July 5, 2015

Ruler Gear and Rotary Safety

msbjj1950 made a comment on one of my YouTube videos.  She/He noticed these nifty little ruler handles in the video and wondered where I got them.  I bought them from a vendor at the Denver National Quilt Show a few years ago.  It is just a suction cup with that small plastic handle attached.  It would be easy to make if one knew where to find the nifty little plastic handles.  (You can find the suction cups at Target or Walmart or craft stores.) If anyone knows where to buy these, already made, or where to buy the parts and assemble one yourself - please comment below!  Thank you!
I use these on my smallest rulers, the four inch and six inch size.  I have two slightly larger ones that I use on my larger rulers.  I have used these ever since I sliced the side of my finger off with a rotary cutter several years ago.  I find that by keeping my hand to the left of the ruler "handle", I am more likely to keep my fingers out of the way of the rotary cutter.  (I am right handed by the way, so it's my left hand I'm trying to protect.)  I credit my mother-in-law and sister-in-law for getting me hooked on these, as they bought me one of the larger ones after my finger incident.  It healed nicely by the way :)

Here are a few more quilts from the HMQS in Salt Lake City, for your viewing pleasure :)




Madonna and Child by Laurie Tigner
This quilt was displayed in the Teacher's Gallery

She said it's only the third or fourth quilt she made and her first icon quilt. Faces and clothing were done with Inktense Pencils.

Wow - you should see my third or fourth quilt!  Or maybe not!



Fantasy Tree by Patricia Finley

A new idea for using up those yo-yos!  (June, I'm talking to you :)



Fairy Tree by Sue Swinyard

Nice Zentangles!!



The Sacred Grove by Charlene Nelson

She said she started this in a Ruth McDowell class using a photograph from Scott Proctor.  Her handcart pioneer ancestors' names are recorded in the border.

No comments:

Post a Comment