Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Wool Appliqué


Every once in awhile I see pictures of "the view from my quilt studio" on other quilter's blogs or newsletters.  Well, my quilt studio window overlooks our driveway, but certain times of the year I must say my view can be pretty spectacular :)


I've been working on a wool appliqué piece (yes, I'm finally doing some wool appliqué again!) for a gift.  What is fun for me with wool appliqué is that one can get really creative with stitches and embellishments.  Sue Spargo is an excellent example and if you need ideas, her books are fantastic!

This flower has yellow rick rack around the center, stitched down with red thread.  the purple flowers below have tiny purple flower buttons in the centers.



You can get creative with embroidery stitches too.  I keep an embroidery stitch book handy so I can look up stitches as I am working.  One of my favorites is:  The Right-handed Embroider's Companion by Yvette Stanton. (There is a left-handed version available, and if I remember correctly I ordered mine from Amazon.)


Have a wonderful day!!


3 comments:

  1. I am a beginner at wool applique and I am curious how you secure your applique pieces to the background before stitching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a beginner at wool applique and I am curious how you secure your applique pieces to the background before stitching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a fusible web product. The two I like best are Steam a Seam 2 and Heat n Bond Lite. Both have worked well for me. Use plenty of steam in your iron and follow the manufacturer's instructions. I usually do not use a pressing cloth. I find they stick better if I press directly on the wool. I have not damaged the wool by doing this, it seems to be fine. Have fun!

      Delete