Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Helen Butler's Quilts




I promised I would share some pictures of some of Helen's amazing quilts and here they are!

Many are machine quilted, but some are hand quilted - both excellently.  She does a lot of hand appliqué too and really pays attention to details.

She told a funny story about teaching several young girls to quilt.  They have gone through all of her quilts and labeled the ones they want her to give to them "when they turn 20, or when they get married".  This blue one has a tag on it with the name of one of her students.  One of the ladies in the class said, "Can I put my name on one?  I'm already married!"








The border above:  she just drew the design and then folded the fabric and cut it out like a chain of paper dolls, then needle turn appliquéd the edges.








You can see her sawtooth border in many of her quilts....






The one above is actually a miniature and the one to the right is the size of a baby quilt.


She said on many of her quilts she has gone ahead and written the name of the person they are to go to eventually (mostly her kids) on the label - so there is no confusion.







Beautiful hand quilting ....





These last two quilts were in the show and the oe below won a ribbon!




Consider the Lillies






With All My HEARTs
2nd place Hand Appliqué





I'm inspired!  I need to go quilt!  After I do the laundry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment