Saturday, September 28, 2013

I Am Feeling Very Olympic Today!

I am visiting family in Utah this weekend and today we went to Utah's Olympic Park in Park City.
Here we are waiting to receive our medals:  Megan - silver, Landon (Megan's husband) - gold, and Michelle and I sharing bronze.
They were training for ski jumping today which is awesome to watch.  I am not sure of the correct name for the event, but they ski down, do all of these amazing flips and twists and turns and then land, usually on the snow.  But here at Olympic Park they practice all summer long landing in the swimming pool!
They water these slopes down and in full gear, ski down, do all of their amazing stuff and then land in the water.

I have to thank my son Jonathan for all of the photos since none of the rest of us brought phones or cameras or anything.


These guys and girls are amazing.

Such a beautiful day in Park City! Yesterday, when I drove up, it was snowing!

They bubble up the water just before they land to kind of cushion the landing a bit.  It probably isn't much harder than landing on hard packed snow though.  I cannot even imagine doing this.
After watching the ski jumping, we all rode the "Extreme" Zip line, which was really fun!  Here are Megan and Landon coming in for a landing.

When the 2002 Olympics were in Salt Lake City, there were many commemorative quilts made to honor the event.  I have seen several of them and they are fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment