Saturday, December 14, 2013

Odds and Ends




I saw this quilt, made by Phyllis Davis, hanging in her daughter's office.  I really like quilts like this, with geometric shapes and shadows and cool 3D effects.  Way to go Phyllis - I like it!


My friend Sherida made these nifty little cases for each of the gals in the Little Bits group.  They are made out of men's neckties!  They are so clever and I am so impressed.  She tucked some screen cleaners and Chapstick in the pockets inside, but it would make a cute little sewing kit case too.

Sherida writes a weekly quilting column for our local newspaper.  It is full of great quilting information and stories from around the globe (and even outer space, if you read last week's column!)  When I was selling raffle tickets at the Lavender Fair last weekend a woman stopped by the booth to tell us that she is not a quilter but her sister-in-law is, and she sends Sherida's column to her every week!  Keep up the great work Sherida!


My friend Michelle was telling me about Turkey Work this last week.  I didn't know what it was so I googled it.  I found out it is a form of knotted embroidery practiced in England from the 16th century to the mid 18th century, but especially in the 17th century.  She used this method in the middle of her wool sunflower here and it looks amazing.  I may have to give it a try!

Years ago my Mom made me the blue grocery sack holder on the left.  My daughter recently asked how hard it would be to make one, so I decided to find out this week and I made four!  The answer:  not hard at all! These are so handy to hang in your closet or pantry and stuff those plastic grocery sacks in the top and when you need one, pull it out of the bottom!  A much neater way to store those things.

Well, today is the day to start quilting Market Fresh (Murphy Bed quilt).  I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment