Saturday, April 19, 2014

Disappearing Pinwheel

At Sew Savvy, Kari showed a super neat trick for making the Disappearing Pinwheel block shown in the quilt below.  Using 10" squares, she sewed them right sides together on all four sides using a quarter inch seam.  Then she cut the square twice diagonally giving her the four half square triangles, which she sewed into the block on the top left in this picture.  She cut that block into nine equal pieces, then started turning the components around and you can either make the disappearing pinwheel block, top right, or

the churn dash block, bottom right, or any other fun thing you come up with!  "Layer Cakes" are pre-cut 10" squares so you can buy a pack of those and make this project even simpler.  I think I am going to make a quilt similar to this one on the right, using my 30's fabrics which I still have quite a stash of!

Kari did the same procedure above using a charm pack, which are five inch pre-cut squares and look how cute these blocks turned out!  They look so complicated but the technique she taught made it very simple!  I love it!


Show and Tell was great, as always, at Sew Savvy.  I wasn't sitting in a position to get many pictures but I got a couple.  This quilt was made by my friend Sheila.  She said it's out of her "color zone" but it's awesome - really pretty - and her work is always top notch.

The wool table runner below was made by a member (I'm sorry I didn't catch her name).  It is the first quarter project in the the Wool Gatherer's club.


Heather is starting a block of the month class, similar to the Monthly Minis that I am participating in, with these cute little seasonal quilts.  Apparently these kits come with all of the pieces precut with fusible already on the back!  Since I prefer hand appliqué, these are not my "style" but they are super cute and would be quick and fun!


All in all a super fun and informative Sew Savvy!


I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter weekend as we celebrate this special event and wonderful time of year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment