Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Quilt Show Entry

I challenged myself to enter the miniature category at the Houston International Quilt Festival this year.  I've been working on the entry form for the past few days, which is due at the end of May.  I have decided that entering quilt shows is a lot of work!  For example, you need to have just the right sleeve. It says right on the entry form #11 "Quilts without the correct sleeve are subject to disqualification" and "Quilts without a sleeve will not be accepted".  I have even had to put a different sleeve on a quilt, even if it already had one, to meet the qualifications of certain shows.  You also must have a label and it must have certain information on it, and the information varies from show to show, so it's best to put as much information on it as you can think of, so it meets the qualifications for any shows you might want to enter.  You need to submit two digital pictures, one full view and one detail, and one photograph of the full view "in the correct colors".  The detail view must show the quilting. Above is my detail view, but I took dozens of photos to try to get two that were good enough and I'm still not sure.... Then of course there is an entry fee.  Part of that entry fee is to ensure that they will ship the quilt back to you safely when the show is over. I always kind of stress about shipping the quilt to them too, which also costs a bit.  All of this work, so people can look at your quilt.  I am doing this so there will be more miniature quilts to look at in Houston this year!  Last year there just weren't enough in my opinion :)  So on with the entry process!  I do have to say though, that on occasion the "process" has prevented me from entering some shows, just because I didn't feel like I had the time to work through the process.  When the entry form for the Denver Quilt Show, which starts Thursday, came out I thought about it for a minute (both my friend and I entered last year), then thought "nah", then the Quilt Colorado entry form came out and I thought about it for a minute longer, then thought "nah".  I guess when I have a fabulous quilt to enter, I will go through all the work to enter it.  In the meantime, I will enjoy everyone else's efforts.  Another thought about quilt shows, when you're standing and looking at someone else's quilt and talking to your friend about it - make sure you only say nice things because the maker could be standing nearby!

No comments:

Post a Comment