Tuesday, May 6, 2014

aBuzz Gallery


I first heard about aBuzz Gallery in Denver on Quilter's Newsletter's online TV program.  They did a piece about Carol Ann Waugh and her gallery and one of the artists featured there.  Since Michelle and I were planning a trip to Denver anyway, we thought it would be fun to stop by and see the gallery.  I contacted Carol and she said she would be there, so off we went!  What a great experience!

I asked Carol if I could take her picture and she posed in front of her thread stash.  When you see her beautiful work, you can see why she needs this gorgeous thread stash!

"aBuzz Gallery is a contemporary art gallery in the RiNo art district showcasing emerging and established artists."
3340 Walnut Street, Denver

 aBuzz is located near downtown Denver and Carol told us there is quite an art community around there.  In fact she had oodles of information about many art happenings in and around the Denver area.

The 2014 Exhibiting Artists at aBuzz are: Nick Landrum, Lisa Calzavara, Judith Cassel-Mamet, Carol Ann Waugh, Jean Herman and Pat Isaacs.
You can find more information at:
www.aBuzzGallery.com

I was thrilled that Carol's own work is hanging in her gallery at this time.  She frequently features other artists, but I was curious to see her work and hear about her methods. She graciously showed us around the gallery and talked about her different pieces, including Swine Flu Garden which was Michelle's favorite.  You must go check this out and hear the story - it's amazing!
Michelle and I also both really liked this black and white piece.

Carol showed us what she is currently working on and Michelle asked about a certain stitch.  Carol said, "Oh, that's 101 (I think that was the number)."  Then she showed us that she has ALL of the stitches on her machine stitched out in various lengths and widths, so she can, at a glance, see what they look like and make choices for her pieces.  I think this is a brilliant idea and plan to do this with my machine!

I really, really loved this piece.  I love the colors, the design, everything about it!  Carol also showed us how she finishes the edges and mounts her pieces which was very helpful.  I bought her book about a year ago and plan to make a group of wall hangings so this information was very helpful to me.
Her book is called Stupendous Stitching.  I am inspired more than ever to try this technique!  I bought a small piece from Carol to give me more inspiration :)  My friend Lori bought this book and made several beautiful pieces and I've been wanting to try it ever since.
Carol is working on a new technique that is quite interesting, which she called Slash and Stitch, or was it Stitch and Slash?  Anyway, it it very cool and her new works are amazing.  Perhaps another book is in her future?
Go check out aBuzz next time you're in Denver!

No comments:

Post a Comment