Monday, May 19, 2014

Lunch Totes


A friend asked me to help her make some lunch totes for the young women in our church that are going to Girls Camp in a couple of weeks.  So that is what I worked on last week, as well as my Challenge piece for the guild, which I cannot show you yet!
This is the first one we finished.  These are so dang cute!  Half the fun is picking out the fabrics, but they aren't too difficult to make either.


These are the five I made for my friend to give to the girls.  She picked out all of the fabric for these - she has a great eye for color!

Yesterday I was watching The Quilt Show online and the guest was Bonnie Hunter, who is a scrap quilt queen.  One thing she said that I found very funny was, "If the fabric is still ugly, you just haven't cut it small enough yet!"

OK, back to the totes.  I thought they were so cute, I had to make a few more for gifts!  So these are the ones I made with fabric from my stash :)


All of the fabrics I used in my totes are from the Adorn-It line, which I've talked about before.  They have great fabric!

If you love these totes, you can find the directions to make them here:
http://ayumills.blogspot.com/2010/08/tutorial-lunch-bag.html?m=1









Another funny story:  I read a letter from Stevii Graves, the International Quilt Association president, in the IQA Journal recently.  She said that her friend, Barbara, made her grandson a pillowcase and he told his mother that it smelled like Grandma.  When asked what Grandma smells like, he answered, "Grandma smells like FABRIC!"

Stevii also talked about making a Quilt Will to make sure your quilts and supplies go where you would like them to go. She said, "I know I will have to give up some control when I'm in the home or dead, but I also know that my family will be clueless (and probably horrified) when dealing with my precious stash."  She said she should also appoint a quilt guardian so her quilts survive until her grandchildren become adults.  It was a clever article.  I guess if you've made prize winning quilts, you probably should appoint a guardian!


Lastly, yesterday I finally sorted through my pretty fabrics that I am using for the Tula Pink Saturday in the City quilt, and added in the fat quarters I purchased in Denver.  Now I am super excited to get back to work on that quilt!  It's amazing how sorting through pretty fabric can make one inspired to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment