Monday, August 25, 2014

Sandra Starley

Sandra Starley, the speaker at the Colorado Quilt Council meeting Saturday, is an AQS Certified Quilt Appraiser, Antique Quilt Lecturer, Teacher, Designer, and Author from Moab, Utah.

She brought many, many antique quilts to show and talk about.  I took pictures of several but was having a hard time getting great pictures from where I was standing.  Finally I started talking pictures as they lay on the tables before the "holders" picked them up to show.
She tried to show different quilts of the same style together, such as these two hexagon quilts.  Most of the quilts she showed were made in the 1800's.







These two quilts are also the same block pattern, just put together differently and using different fabrics makes them look totally different!



She said this isn't a "Lone Star" because it's not "alone".











Some of the colors in the Lone Star below match too closely and therefore and fade into the background.



Grandmother's Flower Garden made in the early 1900's and set with the diamond shaped hexagon blocks in between.  The quilt below has a similar look with hexagons in a diamond shape.








This quilt and the one below are also made using the same block pattern but put together differently.  I really love the browns and blue colors in the quilt below.  It was one of my favorites.




A blue and white quilt made with the uneven nine-patch block, and the quilt below is the uneven nine-patch block set on point.  The one below was probably my favorite of all the ones shown - that's why there are two pictures of it :)



It was a fun and interesting lecture!  I don't know about you but I sure appreciate these ladies (and gentlemen) that made these gorgeous quilts over 100 years ago, without rotary cutters and mats and some even without sewing machines!  Wow! - is all I can say.
And I hope 100 years from now, someone is showing my quilts at a quilt meeting and lecturing about how I made them with just a rotary cutter and sewing machine - without all of the new fancy equipment that they will have in 2114 :)  Label your quilts!  You will want credit for your work!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed my presentation. It was nice to see part of my collection from the audience's view. Thanks.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete