Saturday, January 10, 2015

White Elephant Sale - One Man's (or Woman's) Junk....

Last week I got ambitious and cleaned up my sewing room.  Don't worry - it's a mess again already, but at least it was all clean as I began quilting that pile of quilts.  It always feels good to me to clean up and organize my sewing space in between projects.  If it gets too messy I just can't seem to get anything done.  It's OK if it's messy during a project because I don't like to put everything away each day as I am working on something, but after finishing one and before starting a new one (or starting to finish a new one :) I just need to straighten it up a bit.

I had extra motivation this time because my quilt guild is having a White Elephant sale next Wednesday night.  They do this once a year - everyone cleans out their sewing space and brings those items they no longer need or want.  You know the saying, "One man's junk is another man's treasure", well someone at the meeting will surely need that something that you don't need anymore!
Bid cards are placed by each item and, like a silent auction, the highest bidder at the end of the evening wins the item.  All of the money collected goes to the guild, so it's a nice fundraiser as well.

Here is my pile of stuff to go!  As you can see, there are a lot of batting scraps that I have been holding onto for way to long.  They are odd sizes, like 30'x 90".  I put this stuff out when the Little Bits ladies were here the other day and some of the batting scraps are gone already.  You don't need big pieces of batting for miniature quilts!  My new favorite batting is Quilter's Dream - Request, so that's what I keep gravitating toward and these scraps were getting ignored.  I will be happy if someone else can use them.  I think I should clean a little deeper before Wednesday night though and see if there is anything else that needs to go.  My goal is to not come home with as much stuff as I bring :)

No comments:

Post a Comment