Sunday, July 26, 2015
Several months ago I wrote about a friend who wanted me to re-create a quilt that was made for her in the 1980's. She had used it on her bed for years and it was showing signs of wear, but she loves this quilt and couldn't bring herself to part with it. She asked if I could make another very similar to it, however (thankfully!) she didn't want the sides, just the top, because she's going to fold it and lay it at the foot of the bed, just using when needed rather than as a bedspread as this one was used.
I say "thankfully" on the sides because it would have been a lot more complicated to figure out how to do those. I did not have a pattern for this quilt - I was just figuring it out based on measurements she sent me. The one block is Courthouse Steps and the other one was fairly easy to draft, however each of the petals (192) and the flower centers (24) were hand appliquéd on, so that took awhile.
So.... the first two photos are of her "old" quilt and these bottom two are of my "reproduction"! I am very pleased with the way it turned out! In fact, I like it SO much, I'm tempted to make one in a different color way for me!
She picked out the fabrics and did an amazing job matching what she had, considering the fabrics in the original quilt were all bought in the '80s.
Now I need to figure out how to quilt it. Hers was hand quilted and I told her I wouldn't be able to do that. She is fine with it being machine quilted - so that is next! I'll keep you posted on the progress :)