Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Baby Quilts

Here are two of the baby quilts I've completed recently.  I experimented with these a little bit, as you know, with the flannel batting.
This quilt was made with scraps from a couple of the other quilts.  I used a piece of flannel for batting and a piece of flannel for backing.  I quilted it with King Tut thread in the top and bobbin.  I did not prewash anything.  I figured with the batting and the backing both being flannel it should be OK, and it was.  It shrunk pretty evenly (this picture was taken after washing) and it looks pretty good.
What I learned:
1) I like a thinner thread for baby quilts, either DMC or Aurafil 50 weight, or I also like Superior Thread's Magnifico. The King Tut thread just seems too thick, especially on this quilt with flannel batting.
2) I would not use flannel batting with flannel backing again. I think it needs the batting.  This feels more like a receiving blanket.

This is a pattern called Pegs.  I used Quilter's Dream Request batting and Cuddle fabric for the backing.  The Cuddle backing is SOOOOO soft and delightful and VERY messy to work with.  I love the way it makes the quilt feel though and would use it again.  I didn't prewash anything and it turned out fine.  I block my quilts after washing by stretching them slightly and pinning them to the carpet until they're completely dry (I just damp dry them in the dryer first so they're not soaking wet.)
I have two more baby quilts to share soon with other methods I tried.  I used 50 weight DMC thread both top and bobbin for this quilt and like the way it turned out.

Here is one more Patchwork of the Crosses block I completed.  I LOVE trying to fussy cut the elongated hexagons and seeing what design comes up in the center when I sew them together.  It's kind of like opening a present when I turn it over to see how it turned out.  I love this one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment