Thursday, September 24, 2015

Inspiration


A couple of years ago I entered this quilt in the Utah Quilt Guild's Quilt Fest show.  This is my Japanese Quilt Blocks quilt based on blocks from the book (Japanese Quilt Blocks) by Susan Briscoe.
This year, this quilt was in the show!
It is called "Happy Spirit" and was made and quilted by Kathy Young.  Her artist's statement says:
"I saw a quilt similar to this....loved the taupe colors, Sashiko stitching and beautiful Japanese blocks.  I designed the hummingbird block .... we love these birds!  The hand-stitched quote from President Hinckley was included as a reminder to me to face life's challenges with a 'happy spirit'!

So I don't know for sure if my quilt was an inspiration to her or not, but I like to think it was since it was at the same show two years ago.  It makes my spirit happy to think that something I made may have inspired someone else!

I love the idea of putting this wonderful quote in the center.  Her Sashiko stitching and hand appliqué are beautifully done and her quilting is fantastic too.  I voted for her quilt for Viewer's Choice.  If I hadn't already made a quilt similar to it, I would be inspired to do so.  Actually I still have a lot of taupe fabric left and I love the quote idea.... Hmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment