Sunday, September 20, 2015

Lisa Bongean

I really enjoyed Lisa Bongean's lunch lecture at Quilt Fest.  She told us how she started Primitive Gatherings and how it's grown over the years. I must say it seems that behind everyone of these successful traveling quilt teachers is a very supportive husband and family.  She talked about her husband quite a bit, and how he now works for her company.  It sounds like he is very encouraging and supportive. Karen Kay Buckley's husband was with her at the event and worked very hard.  He was not only helpful to her but he was helping the Quilt Fest committee members as well!  Hurray for fabulous quilting spouses.
Anyway, back to Lisa!  Among the things I loved about her work are these miniature quilts!!  Here she is holding up two of them so you can see just how small they are.  And of course, her work is impeccable.

Following are some of the items she showed at her lecture/trunk show.  She said she never really got into crazy quilts but loved doing some crazy quilt stitches on her wool appliqué.  I think she (and Primitive Gatherings) is best known for her work with wool, but she had wonderful pieces out of cotton fabric too and designs fabric for Moda.


This quilt is pieced with cotton fabrics and appliquéd with wool.  She uses an antique dye spray on a lot of her work as well.  I know they sell it at Hi Fashion, but I've never tried it! Yet....


More miniatures - I LOVE miniatures!





Can you see the beautiful feathered quilting in this little wool appliqué mini?





This is her new book - due to be released any day.  It is at the top of my Wish List.  It is full of miniatures.  I can hardly wait.


She gave away a lot of door prizes, including some of her beautiful wool.

Find out more about Lisa at:
http://lisabongean.com
and
https://www.primitivegatherings.us

And be sure to visit Karen Kay Buckley's website and blog as well!  My friend Phyllis says she has wonderful photography and a wide range of subjects.  I'll go check it out now!
http://karenkaybuckley.com/

Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment