Thursday, April 27, 2017

Lori's Hexies

My friend Lori said I could share some pictures of quilts she's working on.  She has been bit by the English Paper Piecing bug!

Here is what she has to say:
"I saw the Millifiori quilts at Houston and got interested in English Paper Piecing. The rosette is all pieced hexagons and is about 36". There's no way I'd ever get the whole quilt done, so I finished it with batting and backing, need to quilt it, and then am going to quilt the gray background separately and then appliqué the rosette on the background."
 "The other block 'quiltlets'- are English Paper Pieced by hand, I'm doing some big stitch quilting and then they'll all be ladder stitched together. These are both projects from Katjasquiltshoppe.com, she has the book 'The New Hexagon'. 
The quiltlets are probably 8". There are 52 different pieced hexagons in her book, I'm just going to do each on a different color. It's all on katjaquiltshoppe.com, one of her quilt alongs. They don't have binding. The batting and backing are both cut larger than the actual pieced part, you fold the backing over the batting and then appliqué the pieced section on top. That way it's finished, so you can make as many or as few of these as you want."
"The woven piece is something I saw at the modern quilt guild. It's traditional triaxial weaving, but someone's come out with a little plastic tool that makes it easier to pull the strips through. It's called a Welty Needle. You make a woven piece on iron on interfacing, and then use it, I made a notebook cover out of the first piece that I made. Just like so much, something that's been around for a long time and is 'new' again ;-)"

"The red is a machine appliqué class I'm taking at the Castle Rock Quilt shop, two more rows to go..."

I am always inspired by my friends' work, especially Lori, she does such beautiful work - it always looks so professional! This inspires me to get out my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt and finish it!

No comments:

Post a Comment