Thursday, July 13, 2017

David Taylor at CWQG

Last night was the Colorado West Quilt Guild meeting and our program speaker was David Taylor.  He gave a very entertaining talk and slide show and brought a couple of his quilts to show.  He sells most of his work so most of the quilts we saw were in the slide show.

He does turned edge hand appliqué - the edges are all turned before he appliqués them down.  His pieces are also heavily machine quilted. He uses commercial fabrics. His quilts are so artistic and his use of the fabrics to create the art is quite amazing!


Look at all of the different fabrics in the birds!  His thread choices also play a roll in the design.


This is his App quilt for a challenge he participated in.  He said he loves jigsaw puzzles and his company used to be called Blue Leaf Designs.  Check out the photo below to see the quilting on this wallhanging - very clever!


David said that the CWQG invited him to speak 10 years ago (I remember going!) and that was the very first time he'd ever spoken at a quilt guild.  He speaks all over the world now.  He said he still finds it hard to believe people will pay him money to talk about himself :)




I was sitting way in the back so I only caught a couple of pictures of the wonderful Show and Tell items that were shown.


This table runner will be sold at Apple Fest in the Fall.

July is my birthday month, so I was able to pick a present out of the birthday basket :)


And Gini, just for fun, gave me some hot air balloon fabric and a fan, made from hot air balloon fabric!!  How sweet!!  I just may have to print off one of my hot air balloon pictures and make a quilt!!

Stay tuned - tomorrow I'll show you what I worked on today - Millefiori!!

No comments:

Post a Comment