Friday, May 18, 2018

Beautiful and Old



I can say these are "old" because they are all (or most :) older than me!

Beautiful Wedding Ring quilt above...




Left: 1940's Log Cabin quilt.  Julie guessed it was probably quilted more recently but is still worth $500-$600.




Kim's Trip Around the World quilt above I have shared before.  Julie suggested changing out those two random black hexagons to make it more aesthetically pleasing but .... I don't know .... there is something about leaving it the way the quilter made it - even though we have no idea why she did that!


To the right is a 1920's Seven Sisters quilt.  This is a very cool pattern!




Another Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, made in the 1960's or 1970's.





An embroidery cross stitch quilt, probably made in the 1960's.

These two quilts belong to me!  Both were pieced by my Great Grandma McPherson.  We all called her Grandma Mac.  She lived until she was 99 1/2 years old.  My mother used to make a lot of my clothes and these quilts are pieced with a lot of scraps my mother gave her grandmother.  My Mom recognizes fabric from some of mine and my brother's clothes in these quilts.  Julie said the quilt above is called Periwinkle design, probably pieced in the 1970's (or late 60's).  My grandmother Opal Dickerson had it machine quilted, back in the day when machine quilting "on a big quilting machine" was probably pretty new!  The stitches are seriously 1/4 inch long or longer.  Machine quilting has come a long way!
The one on the left, Hands All Around, was also priced in the late 60's or early 70's, and was hand quilted by my Grandma Dickerson - the stitches are lovely.
I love these two quilts and am thankful my Mom gave them to me :)



The quilt above, Rollingstone, was dated 1900 - 1915.  The blocks were made around that time, the quilt was put together and quilted more recently.



This Yellow Flowers quilt is most likely from a kit - 1940's - 1950's.  After working on Woodland Whimsy, I appreciate the hand embroidery!



1940's Dresdens
Julie said it was very popular in the 1940's to blanket stitch appliqué using black thread.



Another 1940's Dresden quilt with the black blanket stitch!



Above:  Spider Web - pie shaped pieces made string quilt style. The blocks were probably made 1890-1915.



Left:  1935 Signature quilt.


Pink and White Sunburst - machine pieced, hand appliquéd and hand quilted around the 1930's.



Lone Star - Hand pieced and hand quilted in the 1950's.



This isn't really Sunbonnet Sue ..... Julie thinks the blocks were made in the 1930's or 40's.  More hand embroidery!  Including the ringlets (hair)!



1940's Boston Common quilt










Below is that Seven Sisters block again!  She said this pattern was often made in the south.  This orange and blue one was made in the 1940's.  I love it!



1930-1940 tied Crazy Quilt

Circa 1870 Square in a Square blocks with a Sawtooth border on each block.  The blocks were possible pieced together into a quilt later than 1890.

I hope you've enjoyed viewing these quilts made by quilters who came before us.  I appreciate their talents that have been passed down through generations.

One quick note - Julie said there are two types of appraisals - verbal and written.  She said verbal is sufficient most of the time and it's less expensive, less detailed and offers a range of value.
She can quote the retail or fair market value, which is usually lower than the replacement value which is used for insurance or donation purposes.

She also said, besides labeling ALL of your quilts, take good pictures of them and keep those pictures in a safe place!

1 comment: