Wednesday, June 13, 2018

A (Fairly) New Magazine


I recently discovered a "new to me" magazine called Quiltfolk.  I can't even remember where I first heard about it, but since Quilter's Newsletter Magazine is no more and I've let some other subscriptions go, I decided to give this one a try.  The unique thing about this magazine is that there are NO advertisements!  There are only four issues per year and when I signed up for a year, I received this Issue #6 for free.  It is really more like a book than a magazine and the pictures are amazing.  The articles are wonderful too.  Each issue is about a different region in the United States.  This one is Arizona, and they covered guilds, quilt shops, individuals, etc.  Another fun thing about the magazine is that two of the contributors are daughters of famous quilters:  Mary Fons, daughter of Mary Ann Fons (Fons and Porter) is the Editorial Director and Ashley Nickels, daughter of Sue Nickels, is a Staff Writer.  This Arizona issue also features another famous mother/daughter duo that we are familiar with here in Grand Junction and that is Sharon Schamber and her daughter Cristy Fincher, featured in an article entitled Family Threads on page 39. The other regions that have been featured in the first five issues are: Issue 1 Oregon, 2 Iowa, 3 Hawaii, 4 Tennessee, 5 Eastern Massachusetts and it looks like Louisiana is coming up next.  You can buy back issues, or subscribe, on their website here:

I would like to pass along my free copy of Arizona to someone interested in checking it out!  If you live in the United States, leave a comment below!  I'll randomly draw a name Sunday, post the winner and ask you to email me your address.  Have a Quilty Day!!

1 comment: