Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Color Confidence


When my oldest daughter was here visiting, we took a class together at Black Sheep Handworx Studio, offered by Pamela Schultz (https://www.gjarts.org/local-artists-groups-galleries/cultural-organization/?organization=mesa-fiber-arts-guild-54cf4), called Color Confidence.

After quilting for about 30 years, I still don't feel like I have a lot of confidence in choosing just the right colors, so I was very interested in this class.





We did a lot of activities with paint chips, using the color wheel and learning about hue, tint, value etc.  It was very informative and will definitely help as I choose colors for projects in the future.  One thing I did learn though is that it's also very subjective and really boils down to what do I like?  What looks good to me and makes me happy and want to work on this project?

After doing a lot of shifting and rotating our chips on the color wheel, these three combinations of colors intrigued me. In pictures one and two, you can see what a difference it makes just swapping out the orange for a cream color.  Then yellow of course gives it a completely different vibe.



Pamela had us order colors from light to dark.  You would think that would be easy right?  It's really not!  Until she taught us this trick with our phone cameras of taking the color out so you're just seeing the gray scale - then it was a lot easier!
Michelle and I had fun taking this class!  We both learned a lot and I am starting to feel at least a little more confident about choosing colors - although I still asked my husband for help just the other day.  It's always nice to have that second opinion šŸ˜Š


No comments:

Post a Comment