Sunday, September 13, 2020

Turkey Work

I have to admit that it took quite awhile for me to catch on to Turkey Work.  I'm still not sure I've totally caught on to "how to" do it correctly, but I've definitely caught on to how much I like the effect and end results.  It is basically a series of loop stitches and tack stitches (a tack stitch in between every loop stitch),  then you cut the loops and brush out the fibers to separate them and there you have a nice little fuzzy puff!

In the photo above you can see the loop stitches and the tack stitches.  Below, I have cut the loops.



I like using this little Bunka brush to brush out and separate the fibers, after the loops are cut.  Then you end up with the little poof, pictured below on the right!  You can use your scissors to trim everything up nice and tidy too, if you want to.



Occasionally, I like the loopy look, like for this sheep's little topknot.  So I did not cut the loops or brush out the fibers, just left a loopy topknot!

More often than not though, I cut and brush, like I did for the little Gnome's beard pictured below.

If you haven't tried it, I encourage you to do so!  The nice thing about it, since you are cutting, brushing and trimming - the original stitch doesn't have to be anywhere near perfect!  No one will ever know!

Happy Stitching!! 😊


 

No comments:

Post a Comment